GOLF FOR GIRLS
Southport Golf Academy has been proud to assist the Lancashire Ladies County Golf Association throughout the past four years in helping their programme to encourage and develop girls playing golf. Regular county run sessions at the Academy supplement the girls own clubs coaching by working on short game and course management on our Academy course; an ideal challenge for young golfers.
It became apparent that one of the main problems the girls have, at the majority of clubs, is the limited numbers who play their courses and so it can be difficult for girls to play regular rounds with other girls.
Feedback from England Golf, parents and the LLCGA suggest that a facility for girls to be able to be certain of regular game time with players of similar standards would help to encourage more to play and retain their interest.
SGA have formed a girls only golf society to give girls the chance to learn the game and develop together at a facility ideally suited to their needs.
Membership will include :
- Full unlimited use of the golf course, subject to booked tee times with discounted green fees (20%) for parents or guardians
- Membership of SGA Golf Club to include CONGU Handicaps, affiliation to the County and England Golf.
- Organised and supervised regular competition at weekends with emphasis on playing ability – handicap and non-handicap.
- 16 x club sessions (some midweek – some weekends from April to September – schedule to be arranged) during which coaches will be helping, playing and advising on all aspects of the game on course where possible :
- Competition formats, individual and team
- Course Play management
- Understanding Greenkeeping and golf course care
These sessions are designed to give the girls a full insight into Club membership which they can take with them to their existing club or if they move on from SGA.
- Girls eligible to be members from the age of 8 for Full Membership, immediate entry for girls with existing handicaps (up to 56) and existing members of other Golf Clubs.
- Girls can affiliate to the Club from the age of 5 without fee who are taking part in the SGA Girls Group Coaching Programme. Following these courses, our coaches can recommend full playing membership at any age if they feel the player is ready.
- The normal programme of SGA Group Coaching will take place from September to July at weekends with the objective of the girls reaching playing ability for full membership and handicaps. (This is based on the Girls Golf Rocks introductory programme many have undertaken)
- A Girls Committee including a Captain to be formed by March 2020 to be involved in the organisation of competition and informal playing objectives. (This initiative to help them integrate into their chosen Golf Club for the future)
- Staff all with Safeguarding and Safety qualifications
- Existing Lancashire County Coaches
- Full girls’ membership inclusive of above and a club branded cap – £135 including insurance, annual from the date of joining SGA.
- SGA Golf Club affiliation fee for handicapping and formal competition £20 is annual from January 1st
- SGA group courses and lessons £60 inclusive for 6 x one hour sessions
- FIRST COURSE BEGINS SATURDAY 14TH SEPTEMBER 2019 AT 1.30PM OR SUNDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER 2019 AT 11AM
The Society is open to girls from all over Lancashire that wish to join us, it is intended to widen their opportunity and options and not interfere with those already members of Golf Clubs throughout the County. Holders of handicaps will of course retain them at their home Club.
Additional junior qualified helpers are joining the Club with full details and contacts will be published.
All initial enquiries should be made to Richard Carpenter at SGA on 01772 815842 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Courses can be booked at the Pro Shop on 01772 815842. Places are limited.
Watch our Facebook page for announcements.